Thursday, October 22, 2009

2 Great Recipes

So my mom has been here this week (Sarah was here over the weekend too and I'll post those pics later) but Mom and I have been getting ready for baby craziness. Not being in Boston with our church family there we realize that having a baby is going to look quite different. Man, our friends there sure took care of us with food for over a month.! Here, being new in town and just settling in we don't have that to look forward to. SO, Mom and I have cooked alot this week and frozen lots of good stuff to eat when the baby comes. (Katie, I even made tater tot cass. in your honor. We'll pretend you are bringing it over.)

And so my Aunt Lynn is a wonderful cook and I wanted to share with you 2 of her recipes that we made this week. Really really good.

Skillet Barbecued Pork Chops
We didn't freeze these of course...just made them for dinner one night
4 to 6 pork chops, 3/4 - 1" thick
1 T veg oil
1/3 cup chopped celery (I used red onion instead...not a fan of celery)
2 T brown sugar
2 T lemon juice
1/2 t. dry mustard (I didn't have any of this and just left it out)
salt
pepp
2 (80z.) cans tomato sauce

In a large skillet, brown chops in oil over medium heat. (I put tony satcheries and pepper on each side before browning...you know Giada says to season every layer.)
drain off excess oil
sprinkle celery or onion, brown sugar, lemon juice, and seasonings evenly over chops. pour tomato sauce over all. cover. simmer over low heat for 1 hour until chops are very tender, turning occasionally (I turned mine ever 10 min or so.)

These were REALLY really good. SO tender. and the sauce was great.

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
we froze 2 extra pans of these!
2 cups shredded chicken
1 c mont jack cheese, grated
1/4 c flour
8 oz. sour cream
10 oz. can chicken broth
1 cup swiss cheese, grated
1/2 c onion, chopped and sauted only till barely softened
1/4 c butter
1 (4 oz.) can green chilis
12 corn tortillas

Dip tortillas in hot oil, only till soft. (I think next time I will dip them in hot chicken broth for the same effect...less grease.) Put cheese, chicken, and onion in tortilla and roll up. place seam side down in buttered bakin dish. melt butter, add flour, cook till fuzzy. add broth, cook till thickened. add sour cream and chilies. cook till heated through. spoon sauce over enchiladas; top with remaining cheese. bake at 350 for 20 min. or till bubbly. you can also add some chopped jalapeno to to sauce along with chilies to spice it up more.

These are great enchiladas! I will definitely make them again.

:)

You should definitely try these!

2 comments:

Portia said...

hahaha! Yay!! I'm so glad you made it for yourself - I wish I could be there to make it for you!

Love you three (four!) (Oh and Nettie!)

Laura said...

the enchiladas are in the oven right now. I tasted the sauce and it was so yummy!! can't wait to get them out of the oven! Thanks for sharing the recipe! : )