Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Awesome Beef and Beer Stew

Made this Sunday and it was delicious! Great left-overs too.
6 T olive oil
4 slices bacon, diced
2 1/2 lbs stew meat (I got the pre-cut stew meat)
1/2 T kosher salt
1/4 t black pepper
4 med. yellow onions, thickly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
1 12 oz. bottles dark beer, such as brown ale (I used Sam Adams October)
2 T light br. sugar
1 T minced fresh thyme or 1 t. dried
1 T minced fresh rosemary or 1 t. dry
1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes cut into 1 1/2 inche chunks

Place oil and bacon in dutch oven (if you have one) over med. heat. I used a big skillet for this part. fry bacon until crisp and transfer to paper towel. set aside. season beef with salt and pep. I would actually also coat lightly in flour like you would a roast. this will thicken everything up in the end. Brown beef just a bit. transfer to plate w bacon. drain pan if needed. add onions and garlic. cook till softened. I then transfered all to my crock pot. Wish I had a big dutch oven to cook in. put meat, bacon, onion garlic in crock pot. add tomatoes, beer, brown sugar, thyme, rosemary potatoes. stir. Oh, I actually squirted in some ketchup here and I think that really added to it.
cook on high for about 4 hours or low for 6-8. You want it to simmer really good and thicken. meat really tender. Actually I'm not sure how long you'll cook it. just watch it. I did it on low for 4 hours and then cranked it up to high for a couple more.

Made cornbread to go w.
So so good.
So good.

No comments: