Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My adventure this week

So basically every Monday I end up doing our weekly grocery shopping. As most of you know, I love to cook and usually know what I'm cooking for dinner at least the day before. I really enjoy it. Well, this week as I prepared to go to the store...(I don't usually shop with a written list...just my head full of ideas) I decided I wanted to try some new meals (I also don't really use recipes too often...just make things up as I go). But this time I got out my recent Taste of Home magazine and tore out like 10 recipes, made a list, and whala! We're having something new every night this week. Fun times!

I thought I would share with you the recipes I really like...

On Monday night I grilled Talapia. It was really good. I didn't end up using a recipe for this, just marinated in lime and some spicy Italian dressing. It was very good. I'll definitely do that again.

I also made these yummy little rolls just to try them out. They would be great for a dinner party and SO easy...
PARMESAN KNOTS
1 tube regrigerated buttermilk buscuits (calls for 12 oz., but I used a 5 biscuit can)
1/4 cup canola oil (I used olive oil)
3 T grated parm
1 t garlic powder
1 t italian seasonings
Cut each bisc. into thirds. Roll each piece into a 3-in. rope and tie into a knot. tuck ends under. place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheet.
heat oven to 400 and bake for 8-10 or until golden.
in a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add the warm knots and gently toss to coat.
Really cute and yummy.

And then tonight I made a MEXICAN LASAGNA which was pretty healthy (I have another mex. lasagna recipe that is not so healthy). We loved this and it was fun to make.
1-1/2 lbs ground chicken
1 cup each diced red onion and diced green pepper (I used red pepper instead)
2 t minced garlic
1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
1 c diced tomatoes ( I used fire roasted)
1/2 c frozen or canned corn drained
1 - 1/2 t chili powder.
1 t ground cumin
2 c of your fav tomato pasta sauce
1 c medium salsa
1/4t freshly ground pepper
2 T minded fresh cilantro (I left this out)
4 large or 8 small whole wheat flour tortillas (I used corn instead and they were really good)
1-1/2 c packed shredded cheddar
1 c light sour cream
1/4 c chopped green onion (I left these out and did shredded lettuce as an optional topping instead)

Preheat oven to 375 and spray a 9X13 cass dish with cooking spray.
brown chicken, onions, pepper and garlic over med-high until chic no longer pink. break up chunks of chic as you cook. I added in some seasoned salt here too.
add beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin. cook and stir 2 min.
add pasta sauce, salsa and blk pepper.
bring to boil.
reduce heat to low.
cover and simmer for 5 more min stirring occasionally.
(Stir in cilantro if you choose)
and remove from heat
To assemble lasagna, spread 1/3 sauce mixture over bottom of dish.
top with 1/2 tortillas tearing and overlapping to fit.
top with 1/3 sauce mix followed by 1/2 the cheese
cover cheese with remaining tortillas, followed by remaining sauce.
sprinke remaining cheese over.
cover and bake for 35 min. uncover and bake 10 more.
let stand for at least 10.
top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped green onions ( I used shredded lettuce instead.)

We made guacamole to go with this.
It was very good. definitely a keeper. Audrey liked it too.
You should give it a try!

And I'll let you know any other keepers I come across this week.
:)

No comments: